Will FSA/HSA cover sleep consulting?
We get this question all the time - sleep consulting or sleep coaching is still a relatively new category, so sometimes its not clear whether services can be paid for out of a Flexible Savings Account (FSA) or a Health Savings Account (HSA).
The good news: Most FSA/HSA plans cover sleep consulting!
The bad news: It can be a bit complicated to find out, and you may need to jump through a couple hoops (ugh!).
Follow the steps below to find out if you can pay for sleep services with your FSA/HSA:
- Make sure your child is a dependent on your account
- Call your FSA/HSA administrator to ask if sleep consulting is covered
- Have the FSA/HSA administrator check under multiple “codes”: Newborn Care, Health Institute Fees, and Sleep Deprivation Services are the most common
- Ask if a Letter of Medical Necessity is required - if so, you can get this from your pediatrician
- Ask if FSA/HSA will pay directly, or if you need to pay upfront and file for reimbursement
If you have any questions at all about this, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!